Playing tag is one of those games that define childhood. There is a lot more to it than you may think; it is a very developmentally necessary game for kids. Here are a few reasons why your kids should play tag that you may not have thought of:
- It is great exercise! You learn if you are in shape you can outrun the others (maybe prompting you to set some new goals!)
- It is a great way to meet new friends and can be played almost anywhere.
- It is FUN and it is fun to laugh and run at the same time, something that doesn’t happen often.
- Strategy is important if you want to win, the slower kids are always “it” unless they have a strategy; many life lessons are learned.
- Kids learn how to play together, make the rules and agree on the rules together without parental input.
- You will learn how to interact with others and win and lose.
- You learn that you can still play with a skinned knee and it is not good to run crying to mom, another lesson that is worth learning at an early age and that is best taught with peers, not parents around.
- It is creative, there are unlimited variations (freeze tag, secret tag, hide-and-seek tag); plus there are variations using water to help with the hot days of summer.
I think I could write a whole blog on the variations and benefits of tag! But for now, make sure your child knows how to play tag and send him out to find some others to join in the fun!