Archery is definitely an outdoor activity, don’t try this inside! Boys love to do things that can be measured and clearly evaluated. This sport fits the bill. They also get instant feedback with every arrow and when they get close to or hit the bull’s-eye it is thrilling! My son still has a target that he hit and saved in his room, it is a reminder of a personal success and that is a good thing…. (and, you can’t save a target that you hit on a video screen!)
Here are a few things I like about this great activity:
1. Your child can do this alone. While it is great to play with friends it is also very nice to have some go to activities that he can do alone.
2. Builds patience. This is an obvious benefit!
3. Improves focus and attention skills. Archery is not easy and boys don’t need easy they need challenges. Because of the combination of physical and mental coordination this activity can’t be duplicated in a video game.
4. Improves patience and self confidence. When their patience is rewarded with a bulls-eye their confidence soars.
5. Inexpensive and easy to get started.
6. Requires practice to build skill. Any activity that your child can set goals with is excellent.
7. It requires physical strength.
Mom, don’t be afraid of this boy activity. It is easy to set up in the back yard regardless of how much room you have. Have fun with this one!